Can You Explain Thermal Imaging?
Thermal imaging is a method of improving visibility of objects in a dark environment by detecting the objects’ infrared radiation and creating an image based on that information. At ACS Underground Solutions we believe Thermal Imaging is an excellent tool that complements any leak detection strategy. Water which is a colorless, transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid always chooses the path of least resistance so a thermal imaging service can help identify the often mysterious origin of water leaks and steam leaks.
How Does Thermal Imaging Work?
All objects produce infrared energy as a function of temperature. The infrared energy that is released by an object is known as its heat signature. The hotter an object is, the more radiation it produces. A thermal imager is essentially a heat sensor that is capable of picking up tiny differences in temperature. The imager collects the infrared radiation from objects in the scene and creates an electronic image based on information about the temperature differences. Because objects are rarely precisely the same temperature as other objects around them, a thermal camera can detect them and they will appear as distinct in a thermal image.
What Are The Benefits Of Thermal Imaging?
- Water infiltration (roof leaks located with recent rain fall within 24~48 hours)
- Cold air infiltration
- Excessive moisture in building materials
- Stud / Joist / Beam / Rafter placement and structure
- Insulation gaps, insufficient and unevenness
- Electrical drops, panels, breakers, switches and wire connections
- Heating and cooling duct placement, insulation, air leaks
- Pipe location
- Special Inspections
- Pest infestation
- Energy audits
- Insurance claims
What Are The Common Uses of Thermal Imaging?
- Building Heat Loss: Find and reduce sources of energy waste
- CMU Wall Inspection: Detect and document structural deficiencies
- Electrical Infrared Inspection: Detect electrical system overloads
- Mechanical Infrared: Locate excess friction and wear on mechanical parts
- Radiant Heat Leak Detection: Locate leaks in hot water and radiant heat systems and floors
- HTHW Leak Detection: Locate High Temperature Hot Water (HTHW) leaks
- Steam Leak Detection: Find costly steam leaks
- Underground/Under Slab Pipe Leaks: Pinpoint leaks and prevent random digging
ACS Underground Solutions | Thermal Imaging Services
ACS Underground Solutions is private family owned consulting company with decades of experience and expertise in Underground Utility Locating with GPR, Underground Storage Tank Locating, Concrete Imaging & Scanning, Drain Pipe Inspections and Infrared Thermal Imaging Services. ACS Underground Solutions serves Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.
CALL ACS AT 203.544.7190 OR Email ACS Underground Solutions TO LEARN MORE.